Ferry Genista 83 tons, 80/91x19.5x7.5 feet, ON 93522, built at Lavender Bay, Sydney in 1886 by James Halstead under the supervision of William Dunn for Mr. Perdriau. Used initially on the daily Gosford-Sydney run until late Jun 1887.Genista served in Western Port from 1889-1932. The Genista featured in several instances of rescuing other vessels in distress, such as on Nov 12 1905: “Steamer Queenscliff broke down 9 miles WSW of Cape Woolamai in a gale owing to bursting of the high pressure cylinder. She managed to sail close to Cape Woolamai from where Captain McLeod was able to tow her to a safe anchorage with the Genista. The captain has telegraphed the agents for a tug to tow her to Melbourne.”
Genista carrying a wagon and jinker
Photograph looking along Rhyll Jetty with the Ferry "Genista" and the Schooner "Stephen" and the Ketch "Vision" tied up at the end.
Farewelling Genista during WW1, 1917
Genista leaving with streamers and waving passengers, 1917
Genista crew: captain kerr, h. kirkland, g. kendall, mcneil, j. jansson, 1919.