The Phillip Island & Westernport Historical Society Inc was first established in 1941. That society closed down during the 1950s and the Phillip Island & District Historical Society was formed in 1967. The society’s museum was opened in December 1982 by the Shire of Phillip Island and operated continuously until early 2020 when closed due to the Covid 19 pandemic, then due to having to put collection into storage while the existing museum building is demolished and our new premises built. Bass Coast Shire Council – an amalgamation of the Shires of Phillip Island and Bass and the Borough of Wonthaggi – was established in 1994. The society’s collection has been accumulating since 1967.
History of the Society
Last updated on 21-Apr-21