Last updated on 13 January 2015
The Phillip Island & Westernport Historical Society Inc was first established in 1941. That society closed down during the 1950s and the Phillip Island & District Historical Society was formed in 1967. The society’s museum was opened in December 1982 by the Shire of Phillip Island and has operated continuously since that time, being open to the public on regular days and also by appointment. Bass Coast Shire Council – an amalgamation of the Shires of Phillip Island and Bass and the Borough of Wonthaggi – was established in 1994. The society’s collection has been accumulating since 1967.